Saturday, July 26, 2008

12, 14, 16. April 2008


12, 14, 16 was my final project before the end of our school year. Of all the art work I have ever made this was by far the hardest, both subject-wise and physically. Visually I do not feel that it is among my strongest work, but was necessary for me to do in order to move forward with my art.

12, 14, 16 started out as one 5' x 36' piece that I stretched onto the studio walls and eventually cut into three pieces. It was visually inspired by Hellenistic sculpture, most specifically The Pergamon Altar. The female figures are made from my clothes hand-sewn onto the canvas which I had gessoed (you cannot imagine how painful it was to sew). I then used ink, sparkly dust, oil paint, graphite, and oil bars to create the environment and nauseating color. The appliqued photographs are taken from the window of my room I had growing up.

12, 14, 16 is a very personal work that addresses traumatic events which occurred in my youth and their aftermaths. I chose to address this subject in my art because it continually seeped in anyways. I felt that it was time for me to approach this subject in a direct manner rather than continue to not acknowledge where the darkness in my work comes from.

Most important to me was to illustrate reaction to painful events. In my mind it is important for people that hurt other people to be aware of the effects of their actions. And also for the person who has been hurt to be allowed their reaction.

I do not feel that I need to revisit the subject further in my art. I do feel that now I have addressed this so publicly I have no personal limitation in regard to the themes I chose for my work.











































































































No comments: