Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Influences and Inspirations - I got to think about something while waiting for a workspace

I am sort of stuck for a studio right now. I need to wait until the end of June to get one, and it's making me sort of crazy.

I make art because I have a need to express my ideas in a visual manner and also because I have a love of beautiful things and know I can make beautiful things (you are not supposed to say that -beauty is unpopular in art right now). But the main reason I make art is that it is the most effective means of keeping me sane.

I am starting to feel a bit unhinged now that it's been 2 months since I've had a studio in which to really work. I've been drawing a bit, but not as much as I need to be. Also jetlag tends to leave me with a death-like sort of inertia for a couple of weeks which makes it hard for me to force myself to do anything.

So I'm starting a list of the inspirations and influences that are lurking below the surface of the work. At least I'm thinking about working.


1. Depression and anxiety - it seems crazy that this would be the #1 influence on my art, but it is. My needing to make art to fight these off is a large part of it, and my experiences in low mental health are a huge part of the subjects I explore in my work.

2. Yoko Ono

3. Poetry & Music

4. Urban Industrial Areas

5. Adventure stories from when I was a kid - both fiction and real life stuff like Jacques Cousteau

6. Insomniac thoughts and nightmares

7. Leonardo Da Vinci - his inventions, not his painting.

8. Islamic Art

9. Birds

10. Car rides through desolate areas

11. Star Trek

12. Cages and traps

13. Eva Hesse

14. Louise Bourgeois

No comments: