Friday, March 27, 2009

Getting set for the show aka everything is going wrong (but can be fixed)!

We're 2 weeks from the show, and 5 days from vacating the studios. The catalog and postcards are here and turned out fabulous. Unfortunately, that's the only thing that's working for me right now. - And yes, we do have a made-up word in our title and unfortunately I transposed the i and o in a word but nobody so far has noticed despite how blatantly misspelled it is.




Because of the remoteness of our school we rely on mail-order for most of our supplies, and nothing that I have ordered has shown up. And so that means that I won't get the stuff until Monday afternoon, which gives me 1.5 days to do what I had given myself 5 days to do. So I am panicking and wasting time while trying to think how to work this all out.


So in the meantime here's the state of the show:

The interiors of my rooms for Everything I Love - I am waiting on more paint so I can't start creating the web out of brass wire for it yet. The mesh ceiling is almost done, but again I can't start installing it until the paint is here. The roof is made of 4 stretchers (that's Chris and Sean's shack by my ceiling panels), but can't be installed until the paint gets here. Boxes of photos that go in the room, I have 4,000 photos of things I love so far - I think I will spend this weekend uploading the other 4,000. So I will do that, build the tables for the photos and make the grill behind which the audio elements are hidden this weekend.
So far I have 5 of the Nets for Shadows finished, I want 7 but the wire didn't show up this week (so much for express mailing in Ireland). I'm fine with 5 but 7 will be better. Those are what I really needed to be working on this weekend. It takes an entire studio wall to make one and about 9 hours per net. I need to be out of my studio with the walls spackled and painted by Wed. morning, so provided the wire shows on Monday I will be pulling a couple of all-nighters to get these done and the studio cleared in time.

My House is done, and just needs to be moved to a different studio. But I can't fix it's wall until the studio is all cleared. So that adds to the insanity for Tuesday.


And then there is the installation for The Cage I Put Myself In - which can't even begin until next Friday. That gives me 5 days to finish a major piece - there is no part of it that can be done until I have access to the studio.


I'm starting to freak-out a bit, but I guess it's to be expected. And my poor poor hands - I scraped off most of my knuckles pulling those canvases and have smashed my fingers so many times with a hammer making my nets that I have massive blisters. It's probably good I can't work on the nets this weekend 'cause my hands are so sore they shake constantly and I can't do the detailed work.

That's my sad story. Hopefully the next post will be about how it all worked out great for the show.

No comments: